I submit for your approval.. taco night. 🙂 I found a recipe for flour tortillas online a while back, but when I actually made them, they ended up being more like a chalupa. They rise a tad bit when fried.
This was really laid back, low fuss meal. I fried up a bit of grass fed ground beef, tossed in a bit of shredded chicken breast that I cooked up a couple days ago for good measure. I seasoned, added some onions. Just top with some shredded cheddar, sour cream, cilantro, and tomatoes.
Chalupa-esque Flour Tortillas
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups warm water
4 tbsp shortening (or lard if you’re brave.. I’m not.)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt thoroughly.
- Cut shortening into mixture.
- Add water until dough becomes sticky
- Knead any air bubbles out
- Let dough rest covered for about 20 minutes
- Press out with tortilla press
- Fry in shallow frying pan over medium heat (you may need to add canola oil once or twice depending on what size you make these). Should take about 1 minute on each side at most.
that sounds fun! do you think it would work to bake the tortillas?
I think, since they’ve got shortening and baking powder in them, they’d puff up like a biscuit. I will have to try it though and see what happens!
I myself, try to live on cheese and wine. This is a very delicious looking alternative!
Thanks. After all the recent cheese making I wanted something simple! 🙂