This evening I sat down to plan my meals for the week, because.. I really don’t do well without a plan of some sort, and decided tonight was a night for chicken piccata. I felt the need to use some of my bounty from the farmer’s market so I sauteed some asparagus with the morels I picked up. The morels were woody, but otherwise underwhelming. I bought them dried, so I suspect that I may have left them in the water too long maybe? Who knows. I’ve never reconstituted mushrooms before so, as the saying goes..
It’s me, not you. I’m sure you have a rich, robust flavor, and that I rinsed it all away in the hot water bath.
On the bright side, the rest of the meal was kick ass.
Be jealous of everything here except my waterlogged morels.
If you didn’t this go round, next time save the water you soaked the mushrooms in. It’s a heady stock that can be mixed with cream for pasta sauces, stirred into mashed potatoes, etc. It’s like the law of conservation of energy. The mushroom flavor may nor be in the morels anymore, but it didn’t disappear. It’s in the water.
I think I over saturated because the mushrooms were a bit watery and the stock was too. Less water. Next time I will try simmering it down too if I don’t get the desired result.
I got some dried porcini yesterday too, so when I mess with those, I will be more mindful of the amount of water, and I’ll hang on to the broth. Thanks for the tip, I’m a total novice with dried mushrooms!