As I might have mentioned (I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this but) I got a molecular gastromony kit. It arrived this week and today is my first time being able to do anything other than watch the instructional videos. I started with gelification – which is the use of agar agar. Basically I just blended up a bunch of arugula and a smidge of basil with some water.. added the juice to a pot on the stove with 2 grams of agar agar.. then heated to boiling.
Once it boils, you pipe it into a plastic tube, set it in some ice water for about 3 minutes.. then you get:
So the natural choice for me was a play on caprese salad.
Over all, I was a little underwhelmed by the flavor of the noodles (maybe not enough basil) and I wasn’t super thrilled with the look either. I was talking with a friend on speaker phone while doing this (Hi Angie!!@$##) and we were talking about what I could do instead. I thought maybe putting it in a shooter glass in layers.. but got to thinking maybe in an old fashion type glass instead. I’d put the arugula gel first, then a layer of mozzarella that I’ve cubed so it’s not one solid chunk (non gel, because ewwww!) and a layer of tomato gel. I think that would be delicious.
Now on to deconstructed tomato soup!