So this time instead of being a total glutton and eating it all before I took a picture.. I decided HEY!@ Let’s take a picture first.
This month really spoke to me! I was lucky enough to have Mary ( http://mamaylosnenes.blogspot.com/ ) send me some really terrific artisan stuff from the Pacific Northwest. I got:
1) Cranberry Pear Balsamic (which immediately went into a gastrique!)
2) Blood Orange Olive Oil (has not been used just yet but only cause I’m doing so much uncooked food lately)
3) Salted Carmel Chocolate thingys (GONE – Immediately)
4) Salted/Sugared Pecans
HOLY COW. I understand that 1-3 were from a local company there called Navidi Oils. I was pleased to discover that they have a website and that you can order online.
I am so thankful for all of the awesome stuff I got. Don’t forget to check her site out!!!
Now, you might be asking yourself.. what IS a foodie pen pal. Well check out Lindsay at http://www.theleangreenbean.com for more details but here’s the skinny:
1. On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to promptly contact your penpal for a mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions. (This means you need to send out an email within 72 hours to make contact!!!) Please be mindful of your matches dietary restrictions if they have them. ie, if they’re gluten free, don’t send them wheat bread…or if they’re vegan, don’t send them bacon…it’s also nice to ask if there’s anything they really don’t like, so that you’re not sending them a package full of coconut stuff if they hate coconut…Consider asking your match if they would like to receive healthy snacks, treats or a mix of both.
2. You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. This will ensure everyone receives their goodies in time to post about them. PLEASE make sure you get your box in the mail on time. Feel free to mail it earlier if you can. It sucks if someone can’t post on the day everyone else does because they haven’t gotten their box yet.
3. On April 30, 2012 you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal! I will also hold a linkup party on my blog so that everyone can add the links to their posts and they’ll all be in one spot, making it easy for you to hop around and check out what other people got! Feel free to write your post as soon as your get your goodies if you want, just don’t publish it until the end of the month.
4. The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15.
5. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
6. You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (US participants- Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!) If you’re mailing something breakable, please make sure it is well cushioned to avoid breaking!
7. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you can choose to write a short guest post for the blogger to feature on their blog to show off what they sent you.
8. If two readers get paired together, no one has to worry about writing a post 🙂 Just enjoy your goodies.
9. BE SURE TO THANK YOUR PENPAL FOR ALL OF THEIR THOUGHT & EFFORT! Seriously, this should be a no brainer but you’d be surprised how many people I hear complaining that their penpal never even said thank you or even let them know they got their box.
10. If you’re on twitter, you can use the hashtag #foodiepenpals when tweeting! Tweet up a storm, friends. Don’t forget the “s” on the end- #foodiepenpals, not #foodiepenpal.